Landlords gas safety certificates

Landlords - don't forget to get your boilers serviced annually and get your safety certificates - you could be liable to a fine otherwise

A landlord gas safety certificate is issued to you on completion of an annual boiler service or gas pipework check on your rental property. The certificate includes your details (or your letting agent details) and the tenants details as well as the property address.

A landlord gas safety certificate tells you that the boiler or pipework checked is safe for your tenants to use and any relevant information is added to the paperwork before we leave. If it’s not safe, we’ll advise on what needs to be done and the associated costs.

If you would like to read more about our annual boiler service and the types of boilers we can work with please visit our Annual Boiler Service web page.

If you are interested in learning more about safety checks on a gas appliances – you’ll find our Appliance Gas Safety Checks page useful. If you are arranging a boiler service you can ask us to check gas appliance(s) in the property at the same time.

Do I need a landlord gas safety certificate?

As a landlord of a private residential let or commercial building, you are legally required to have the gas boilers in your property(ies) serviced and checked every year. Good letting agents will require proof of the annual service before they will consider acting on your behalf and diligent tenants will not sign a rental agreement without seeing the landlord gas safety certificate.

How long does it take to carry out the necessary safety checks?

On average our heating engineer will only need one hour at your rental property or premises – but this may vary depending on the type of boiler and/or pipes we may be checking.

During our visit we will need access to the boiler in question, any controls that are used to manage the boiler and the gas meter. We will essentially be checking the boiler is working correctly and there are no gas leaks. We will be looking among other things at gas pressure, amount of gas being used, carry out a gas soundness (or tightness) test and that safety devices are working properly. In summary that the boiler is safe to continue using.

It’s important your tenant, or yourself, (or letting agent if you are using one) are aware of our visit so we can gain access to the property.

How much will it cost to get a landlord gas safety certificate?

As a certificate is issued as part of a boiler service, costs for a service start from as little as £102, including VAT – which is very little for the peace of mind it can bring you and your tenants.

  • Domestic gas boiler service from £102
  • LPG boiler service from £102
  • Domestic gas back boiler service from £112
  • Plus – gas appliance safety check (gas fire) £24
  • Plus – gas appliance safety check (cooker/hob) £24

Discounts available if you own more than 5 properties or if you are a letting agent.

It’s better to be safe than sorry

Although you may decide you could skip an annual boiler service – you may not know if everything is working correctly and burning the right amount of gas. Servicing is not terribly expensive when compared to the devastation caused by an explosion in your property which was caused by a faulty boiler or leaking gas pipes. This is of course on top of your liability as a landlord to have ensured the safety of your paying tenants.

If you need a landlord gas safety certificate and want to book a boiler service with Clarity Heating please contact us via our book a boiler service form, or by calling us on 01353 862315.

Further information

We’ve got lots of useful information on our website, here are just some of the pages you might be interested in:

Saving energy, saving pennies
Understanding the benefits of a regular boiler service, one of which is the cost savings of having an efficient heating system in your home or office.

Central Heating Installations – boilers, flue pipes, radiators and heating controls
Our professional engineers can do everything from installing a boiler to a complete heating system for your home, community building or office.

What you need to know about an annual boiler service from Clarity Heating
Find out what’s involved, what makes and models of boiler we can service, how long it takes and if you have to have one.

Looking to replace a boiler or replace a central heating system in a rented property or need a boiler repair? We can help with that too.

How hard water hampers heating
Hard water is a fact of life in Cambridgeshire and East Anglia. In fact, many residents will be all too familiar with its impact on their kettles. But when it affects boilers or heating systems, you can’t just grin and bear it. That’s because hard
Read more.
A guide to header and expansion tanks
In the lofts of houses or business premises which are served by an older or traditionally designed heating system you’ll find two tanks. The smaller of the two is known as the header or expansion tank. These tanks can come in slightly different shapes and
Read more.
What size boiler do I need for my home?
  If you are looking to have a new boiler installed at home, there are numerous factors to consider before you buy. These include: the size of your property how many people live there how many radiators you have what your water pressure is like
Read more.