How to avoid heating disasters this winter
The festive period is a time when people traditionally down tools and kick back and spend ‘quality’ time together as a family.
The only things working hard tend to be: the designated cook, and your boiler, as the temperature is forecast to significantly drop in the coming months and more people in the house leads to more calls on your boiler for hot water.
Over the years we have been working we have seen many crises over winter, from boiler breakdowns to frozen oil and bursting pipes as temperatures firstly drop in properties that are not occupied, and then rise.
Our advice to clients in winter time is:
- Service your boiler annually with a reputable heating engineer such as Clarity Heating.
- Give serious consideration to the replacement of a boiler that is over 10 years old – new boilers are not as expensive as you might think.
- Get your central heating radiators power flushed – Clarity Heating can perform this hugely beneficial (in terms of efficiency of your radiators and boiler) service for you.
- Keep an eye on the medium-term weather forecast.
- Have a couple of electric radiators or heaters in the loft/shed/cupboard just in case.